Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Finishing the Red Medieval Dress

Last month, I showed you the finally finished Blue "Miranda" Dress.  This month is the red dress that goes underneath--again, finally finished.  Last year I spent a lot more time on this one than the blue, so I didn't have things like interior seams to finish, but it still needed a lot of tweaking.

I added sleeve buttons and buttonholes, I re-did part of the front, as when it was laced it jutted out weirdly over my stomach, and I added a panel for under the lacing, as occasionally it would gap and you'd see skin.

Photos were taken inside the last remaining guard tower in Haarlem, left over from when it was a walled city.  This is a staple of our walk/ride into the city, and I go by it or through it several days each week. It's right next to a very busy street, and is a major bike thoroughfare, so we had to get out of the way a couple times.









The Challenge: Stashbusting.  Make something using only fabric, patterns, trims, and notions that you already have in stash.  And I also used a garment I already had in stash!

Fabric: Linen.

Pattern: Drafted my own from La Cotte Simple and By My Measure.

Year: late 1300's to early 1400's

Notions: Silk embroidery thread for the button holes.

How historically accurate is it? Good!

Hours to complete: 52 on the initial make last year (with the mock-ups), and another 18 this time around.  Hopefully that will be it--70 hours seems like enough for one "simple" underdress.

First worn: Several rounds of photos at this point.

Total cost: Nothing this time, but my costs originally were probably about $20.

2 comments: