Thursday, December 4, 2014

HSF '14: My First Vest

I've been wanting a sewn vest for AGES.  I don't know why I didn't ever buy one; I have three sweater vests, two of which belonged to my dad in the 1970's, and ever since I started sewing vests for Dan, I've wanted one for myself.  Because I love vests.  On men, on women, on anybody a well fitted vest is really classy and nerdy and adorable.

Tonight, after our little photo shoot, I started skipping down the hallway sing-songing "I'm gonna make so many vests, I'm gonna make so many vests".  Because now that I've finally made one, I might just have to make them all.

The theme this fortnight was Menswear, and I thought about making something for Dan, but I settled on something for me instead.  And vests are definitely menswear inspired.  I decided on 1930's as I seem to be all about the 30's this year, and I remembered seeing some that I liked.  Turned out, when I went back to find those examples, they weren't actually there.  1930's fashion was much more feminine than the 1920's, and in the end, I only found one example.  A vest included in a 1933 pattern for a 4-piece Tuxedo Ensemble.  Definitely menswear inspired.


But it pairs perfectly with my wide-legged trousers, especially as I constructed it with material I had leftover from the pants.

I did make a quick mock-up, as I wasn't using a pattern, or at least not one meant for a women's body. I've drafted several garments for Dan from Men's Garments 1830-1900, and they've all been really great, so I figured I'd just start with one of their vest patterns and see what happened.

I did have to make some modifications in the end, but as it's just a vest, using a men's pattern turned out to be a perfectly fine starting place.  And the mock-up fabric for the front panels were scraps of old jeans of Dan's, so there's just menswear all over the place.



And here's the final product:


Pretending to be Lois Lane (an excellent suggestion by Dan):

And showing off my tiny faux-pocket.

The Challenge: Menswear

Fabric: Green wool left over from my recent 1930's trousers, and brushed black cotton left over from this summer's 1930's shorts

Pattern: started with a draft from Men's Garments 1830-1900

Year: early to mid 1930's

Notions: Just 4 (unfortunately) plastic buttons

How historically accurate is it? Fine, except for the buttons.  Maybe someday I'll find some nice glass ones.

Hours to complete: 7.5 including drafting and mock-up

First worn: Tonight for photos.  But I already have several occasions I plan on wearing it.

Total cost: The green was counted in an earlier challenge, same for the black, and the buttons were $4.  So $4 (kinda).

1 comment: