Sunday, December 21, 2014

HSF '14: Most of a 1930's Blouse

I've been wanting to try a Mrs. Depew pattern for a while now.  Sold on Etsy, the shop has some really cute patterns.  With the current challenge being called Modern History, and my making so many 30's pieces to wear in my modern life, I decided it was time to take the plunge.


And I had some success.  Mrs. Depew patterns use a method of drafting that was unfamiliar to me, and my pattern, once mocked up, seemed a bit off.  (I don't think this can be attributed to my skills, or lack thereof. As I was mocking it up, the line "They're really more like guidelines anyway" kept going through my head.  I think it applies here.)  Lines that really should be at cross angles to one another were not, and the back side seam was quite a bit longer than the front, as was the shoulder seam.  And I really wasn't sure about the pleats in the shoulder and neck.  So I made a mock-up of the bodice (minus the triangular front and after I made some logical adjustments), before I even drafted the sleeves and collar.  I used a fabric that I couldn't picture ever using for real, and was completely thrown when I liked the result.  Really liked it!


You can see the self bias facing, and what the inside of the
pleats look like.

As I was running out of time, and it's a busy time of year anyway, I decided to finish the neck and sleeve holes with bias binding, and call it done.  It is really short, the back always comes un-tucked, even from my high-waisted 30's trousers, so it really needs a sweater over it.  Which is fine by me!


The Challenge: Modern History

Fabric: A blend fabric, meant to be men's dress shirt fabric

Pattern: started with a Mrs. Depew's 1930's Blouse

Year: early to mid 1930's

Notions: just thread

How historically accurate is it? Not really; fabric is of unknown content, I'm pretty sure the stripes aren't period, and it should probably have sleeves!

Hours to complete: I didn't track this one much, but maybe 6-8

First worn: Several times since I finished about two weeks ago.  I'm absolutely in love with it!

Total cost: Definitely free.  It was given to me by a friend, who got it from her daughter, who got it as a leftover sample from her work.  So I have no idea what it would have originally cost.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, pretty! The colours really suit you. It's always a bonus when a mock-up turns out wearable, and if you really love it as well - win, win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really cute, but I'm really confused - was it supposed to look like the blouse you have pictured?

    And is there a pleat from the neck running down into a pleat from the shoulder? How fascinating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blouse I made is the blouse pictured, minus the additional collar swoopy things, the diamond shape in front (as it wasn't actually changing the shaping, it was purely decorative) and the sleeves. I wanted to test the pattern without the extras, to just see if the shell worked. And the main reason for that was the super weird dart placement (one coming out of the shoulder, and one coming out of the neck) that actually really work. I cannot stress enough my surprise that I love this (most of a) blouse.

      Delete