Monday, August 18, 2014

HSF '14: Late 1880's Walking Skirt

Another project building my late 1880's outfit.  You probably already know the back story about it, so I won't repeat it.  But I do want to say something regarding my fabric.  It is extremely hard these days to find a good quality cotton, with interesting stripes, printed on grain.  If you can afford them, reproduction fabrics are often the way to go.  And I have to mention Lolly's Fabrics in Shipshewana, Indiana, where I have found more reproduction cottons than anywhere else on the planet (that I have been).  Seriously.  Go to Lolly's.

And now on to the photos.





The Challenge: The Great Outdoors

Fabric: Windham Fabrics Presents Orchard House ca. 1860; Cotton; found at Lolly's Fabrics in Indiana

Pattern: Truly Victorian's 1885 Four Gore Underskirt - TV261

Year: 1885-1888

Notions: Thread and cotton bias tape.  I'm waiting to add a closure until I make a new corset.

How historically accurate is it? Pretty good.

Hours to complete: 8

First worn: Just for photos, it'll wait until the rest is done for a proper wear.

Total cost: About $40 for fabric, the bias tape was from stash.

1 comment: