Saturday, July 5, 2014

HSF '14: 1880's Petticoat

HSF '14 is half way over.  And I think I need to slow down a bit.  My costume closet (that I created in January) is already getting full, and I keep having to shove thoughts about shipping all this stuff when we move again to the darkest recesses of my mind.

So, for the 3rd quarter of challenges, I'm going to build an 1880's ensemble, piece by piece, challenge by challenge.  This doesn't always work quite right, as a piece needs to fit in to the theme of the challenge, but I think I've figured most of it out.

The challenge this time is called Shape and Support: Make a garment that changes the silhouette of the human form through shaping and support.  My entry is a bit light for this challenge, the bustle underneath the petticoat would be much better as an entry, but that's going to be finished for the 1 August challenge.  A petticoat, in its own small way, definitely changes the shape of the body.  Many historic dresses would be obviously wrong looking without a petticoat or two or five under them.  And you can add pleats or ruffles or cording to a petticoat to change the shape of the body even more.  Mine has both pleats and ruffles and is made of very stiff cotton organdy which all help it hold its shape and support the skirts that will eventually be worn over it.



The Challenge: Shape and Support

Fabric: Cotton organdy from Vogue Fabrics

Pattern: Truly Victorian's Victorian Petticoats - TV170

Year: late 1880's

Notions: Just thread, I may add a drawstring or button to close it later, but I want to complete a new corset first.

How historically accurate is it? Really accurate.

Hours to complete: About 10?  Ruffles take forever.

First worn: For very quick photos (it was raining), and probably not again until I complete the ensemble.

Total cost: About $20.

No comments:

Post a Comment