Sunday, June 22, 2014

HSF '14: 1940's Coveralls

The challenge this fortnight was the Politics of Fashion: Craft something that demonstrates the interactions between dress and political history.  And when it was announced, I immediately thought of Wearing History's WW2 coveralls.  I had been wanting to make these for a long time, and finally had an excuse.

They were sewn while I was on vacation in the US, which was mostly okay.  I was really pleased with the ability of my mom's machine to sew through 5 layers of heavy cotton; it probably handled it better than my own would have.  But using someone else's work space is always a bit awkward, for both them and you.

I didn't make any major changes to the pattern, though I should have added another inch to the pant length.  I did scoot the straps closer together in the back, and of course made the usual minor adjustments to fit 'standard size' to my own.

Very patriotic, no?

My solution for not wanting to spend time
on my hair?  A kerchief!


The Challenge: Politics of Fashion

Fabric: Sturdy cotton twill.

Pattern: Wearing History's WWII Homefront Overalls.

Year: late 1930's to mid 1940's

Notions: Poly thread, plastic buttons.

How historically accurate is it? Great, though I'm not sure when sergers came into being.

Hours to complete: I didn't really keep track on this one, but probably no more than 12.

First worn: For photos, and then for weeding the garden right after.

Total cost: $20 for fabric, $6 for buttons.

1 comment:

  1. You look just like one of the "Land Girls"!

    ReplyDelete