I finally decided to join in on the Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge. I've been looking at everyone's creations since January, but couldn't decide whether or not to participate. But I took a leap, and we'll see what happens!
The Challenge: #10 Literature: an 1840's Dickensian vest promised to my husband 3 years ago, and made last week.
Fabric: Loosely woven plaid wool fabric that I found 3 years ago in New York. Interlining was a rather sturdy cotton from stash, and lining and back are probably synthetic found in a bin at the fabric store.
Pattern: Drafted from Men's Garments 1830 - 1900 by R.I. Davis. I used the Single-breasted roll-collar waistcoat pattern. The welt pockets were helped by Laughing Moon #109 (Frock Coats and Vests pattern)
Notions: Just buttons, probably plastic. May swap them out for horn some day, but they look good enough for now.
How historically accurate is it? Somewhat. The pattern is accurate, and I believe the wool fabric is too. The lining is probably synthetic (it was in a giant bin of random stuff). It is mostly machine sewn.
Hours to complete: Approximately 30. WAY too long. Drafting and mock-ups took maybe 6 hours, matching the plaid took 2, the welt pockets took maybe 5, and figuring out the lining/facing pieces from a self-drafted pattern took longer than it should.
First worn: Today, around town. No period event on the schedule, but he's planning on wearing it to work next week.
Total cost: $10. Wool and interlining from stash, back and lining maybe $5, buttons and thread another $5.
|Matching the plaid took FOREVER.|
|You can see my slightly off buttonholes. I didn't have time |
to hand sew them, and I'm still learning how to use my
machine's buttonhole features.
|My not-even-close matching of plaid on the welt pockets.|
All in all this felt good, if a bit rushed and harried. After the year of wedding sewing I took 18 months off, somewhat without meaning to, so I'm very glad to get back into it.