Monday, September 23, 2013

HSF Challenge #19: Wood, Metal, Bone

This is my second Victorian corset.  I made the first about 5 years ago and it hurt my lower back from the moment I put it on.  I also used slightly stretchy fabric, so needless to say, it wasn't the best.  I'm much happier with this one!  It is the first time using the TV pattern, so the gap is a little wider in the back than I'd like--I'm still learning how my body compresses in corsets.  But I'll keep getting better at it.  I did decide to use metal eyelets, this corset is meant to be more of a costume piece (thus the brown), than actual underwear, and I was on a tight schedule.

The Challenge: Wood, Metal, Bone

Fabric: Silk shantung, cotton lining

Pattern: Truly Victorian's Late Victorian Corset

Year: around 1880

Notions: Embroidery thread for the flossing, lacing, thread, metal eyelets, and all the bones...

How historically accurate is it? The pattern is good; I'm not sure about using brown as my color though.  

Hours to complete: I lost count.  4 for the flossing. :)

First worn: Last weekend as part of a Steampunk outfit.

Total cost: About $60 maybe?  







No comments:

Post a Comment