Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge: #11 Squares, Triangles, and Rectangles


Mid-19th century split drawers, with pin tucks. The pattern I used was all angles, a combination of triangles and rectangles.  And it was my first experience with hand sewing an entire garment!


The Challenge: Squares, Rectangles and Triangles

Fabric: Cotton. All cotton.

Pattern: Drafted from Elizabeth Stewart Clark's split drawers pattern.

Year: Mid-19th c.

Notions: Thread, buttons.

How historically accurate is it? I think very. ESC seems focused on accuracy, and I modeled the pin tucks on drawers from the Met.

Hours to complete: Being entirely hand sewn, which I'm not very fast at yet, maybe 15-20. A bit longer than I wanted.

First worn: Mostly this was an exercise in wardrobe building, but maybe this autumn.

Total cost: I actually had no white cotton on hand, so maybe $10.




No comments:

Post a Comment