Saturday, May 18, 2013

Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge: #10 Literature



I finally decided to join in on the Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge.  I've been looking at everyone's creations since January, but couldn't decide whether or not to participate.  But I took a leap, and we'll see what happens!

The Challenge:  #10 Literature: an 1840's Dickensian vest promised to my husband 3 years ago, and made last week.

Fabric: Loosely woven plaid wool fabric that I found 3 years ago in New York.  Interlining was a rather sturdy cotton from stash,  and lining and back are probably synthetic found in a bin at the fabric store.

Pattern: Drafted from Men's Garments 1830 - 1900 by R.I. Davis.  I used the Single-breasted roll-collar waistcoat pattern.  The welt pockets were helped by Laughing Moon #109 (Frock Coats and Vests pattern)

Year: 1830's-40's

Notions: Just buttons, probably plastic.  May swap them out for horn some day, but they look good enough for now.

How historically accurate is it? Somewhat.  The pattern is accurate, and I believe the wool fabric is too.  The lining is probably synthetic (it was in a giant bin of random stuff).  It is mostly machine sewn.

Hours to complete: Approximately 30.  WAY too long.  Drafting and mock-ups took maybe 6 hours, matching the plaid took 2, the welt pockets took maybe 5, and figuring out the lining/facing pieces from a self-drafted pattern took longer than it should.

First worn: Today, around town.  No period event on the schedule, but he's planning on wearing it to work next week.

Total cost:  $10. Wool and interlining from stash, back and lining maybe $5, buttons and thread another $5.

The pictures:

Matching the plaid took FOREVER.





You can see my slightly off buttonholes. I didn't have time
to hand sew them, and I'm still learning how to use my
machine's buttonhole features.

My not-even-close matching of plaid on the welt pockets.


All in all this felt good, if a bit rushed and harried.  After the year of wedding sewing I took 18 months off, somewhat without meaning to, so I'm very glad to get back into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment