Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Crochet: Christmas Present for Liz

I haven't been sewing much lately, but I have been crocheting.  A lot.  I currently average 2 hours per day at it, as I'm trying to finish something for my grandmother's 95th birthday.  But this is a simple project I made for my mother-in-law for Christmas.  Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of her wearing it, but maybe next time.

Yarn: Manos del Uruguay silk blend fino.  30% silk, 70% wool.  Really soft feeling, definitely hand spun and dyed (the thread sometimes varies in thickness and skeins of the same dye lot may be a bit different in shade).

Pattern: Thistle and Beads Shawl by Charlotte Burton; found on Ravelry.

Alterations:  I followed the advice of KenyonNewbie and started my foundation row with 21 chain stitches instead of 3.  This made for a much less pointy top.  Also, when I felt the shawl was wide enough, but wasn't yet long enough, I switched to the instructions for the Thistle Stitch Scarf, creating several more rows without increasing the width.


No comments:

Post a Comment