Friday, February 24, 2012

Baby Quilt

I came back after the wedding and still felt like sewing (amazingly), but I had no desire to sew clothing.  So I decided to sew a quilt for the first time in years, and as I had TONS of leftover scrap fabric from my sewing marathon, I figured I'd make it out of that.  I also knew of a baby who didn't have a quilt, so I had my answer.


I started by cutting out 2" squares and matching them up to sew into 4" squares.

Sewed those together.

And was left with a stack of the same number of created 4" squares and pre-cut 4" squares

I then arranged those, alternating the 4-squares with the 1-squares.  Getting this right took awhile.

Sewed those together, and had a quilt top. Amazingly, I originally thought the quilt might look boring, as much of it is shades of blue and black.  Instead it's rather chaotic and vibrant, and I think works really well together.

The back of it looks kinda funny though.

I added batting, and a backing, quilted them together and hand-sewed down the binding.  It was finished!

You can see the quilting better from the back.  Diagonal lines and small crosses in between those.
 I really enjoyed this project, I'm kinda sad to see it go.  But it's going to a well deserving little boy, and it used up a bit of my stash fabric, so it was totally worth it.

1 comment: