Tuesday, June 7, 2011

fig tree?

I discovered that we have (what I think is) a fig tree in our backyard.

Previously I'd thought of it as the really ugly vine that has grown over the top of the roof, out over the car park and partly blocks the neighbor's window.  But as I was giving it a trim today, I noticed some small green fruit things, so I picked one and cut it open.  It sure looks like an un-ripe fig.

But my hesitation is this.  I thought figs were supposed to ripen at the beginning of fall.  We just hit winter.  And a co-worker brought in figs from her garden about two months ago, so why am I just seeing mine now?  I'm sure my tree is just a late bloomer or something, but I really don't want it to be a fig tree for two reasons.  One, I don't actually like figs.  I LOVE dried figs, but fresh ones are really slimy.  Two, the entire vine/tree thing has grown out of the back garden and now mostly sits on top of the back garden awning and up to the roof.  I have no idea how I'm going to get at most of the figs; I'm afraid I'll end up with rotting fruit just sitting on the (flat) awning.  Lovely. 

But still, the statement--We have a fig tree, in our back yard--is kinda cool.

What do you think?
And if any of you have recipe ideas, feel free to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment