Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Making string

Awhile ago I went on a search for string.  I wanted cotton or linen fibers, preferably white, about 1/8" diameter.  It's just string, but I couldn't find what I wanted.  (I miss Britex sometimes.) This was to go inside the binding around the neckline of my corset, to act as a drawstring, so I wasn't really willing to compromise on what I wanted.  But I remembered a type of friendship bracelet that I made eons ago at camp, a squarish-column shape with Vs running down the four sides, and made by holding five loops on your fingers and passing them through one another. (that's the best way I can describe it anyway)

I started with a test, to see how long the loops needed to be to achieve the final length I wanted, and to make sure I still remembered how to make the friendship bracelet/string.  On my test, for which I used DMC embroidery floss, I determined that I only lose about 1" every 10", so to make 72" long string, I needed 80" long loops.  The project didn't actually take too long, only two evenings of TV watching.  The most annoying part was the start, keeping 5 pieces of 160" untangled was quite a feat.  For the actual string, I used DMC Cotton Pearle, size 12, so the diameter was smaller than with the embroidery floss.  It works exceptionally well, and I'd definitely do it again.


My test,
you can see the Vs better with the colors.


Making the string. The other end was looped around my toe. 
I had to tie up the excess because 80" was way too long to
handle in one go.


No comments:

Post a Comment