Thursday, January 6, 2011

Twelfth Night - or as Dan says, "Zwolf Nacht"

Dan and I were in Pittsburgh with his family over Christmas this year.  So the VanderMeers are celebrating tonight - 12th Night, the twelfth night after Christmas.  We didn't originally set out to have Christmas this late, but Dan didn't make it back to Illinois until yesterday, the 5th, after spending about two weeks with his folks.  So Christmas had to be postponed.  Which has turned out to be really nice.

For the first time in years I've had time to anticipate Christmas.  There have been presents under the tree for over a week now, and I haven't been able to resist crawling under there to examine and guess at what I've received.  I even took a look in my stocking, only to discover that my mother had chosen not to wrap one of the things in there.  Oops.  I think in recent years there's been so much leading up to Christmas, too much working and traveling, and not enough time to get excited about it.  This year I've been home (with those presents) for a week now, with very little stress and a chance to finally look forward to the holiday.

We've decided to combine Christmas dinner with Thanksgiving, as Dan and I did not celebrate this year, so we're having turkey, potatoes, corn, and pumpkin pie.  Then we're going to open presents and watch a Muppets Christmas Carol - the best Christmas Carol movie of all time, and believe me, I have a lot of others to judge it against.

So Merry Second Christmas, and Happy Twelfth Night.

1 comment: